1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Got my MFA degree! Finished (really finished) a novel! Spent an entire year married. 🙂
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t remember what my resolutions were (or if I had any), but I’m happy with my progress on various goals. Next year I hope to find a publisher and get some illustration work.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but a close friend did get pregnant, so, next year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Matt’s Granddad died in the spring. I only met him a couple times but he seemed like a wonderful guy, and he had the most kicking wake I’ve ever been to. I mean, whole room singing joyfully for life celebration type a thing. It was sad but not depressing if that makes any sense.
5. What countries did you visit?
Didn’t get out of the country this year, but I did get to visit my parents in Oregon, and a couple good trips out to DC.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A publishing contract. Work that pays in money (free books and video games are nice but…). A house. I can dream, right?
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Er… I can’t think of any big dates. Sorry.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finished novel revisions. Graduation.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I can’t think of anything I feel I failed hugely at. Probably biggest issue is setting too many goals at once, but I’m getting better at that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Probably got a couple bad colds, as per usual, but nothing major.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
IPHONE. Love it. Also, related, “Things” app for iPhone. Productivity has soared. Or at least, you know, moved. Forward.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My big brother took a risk and quit a job he hated, to do what he really wanted to do (coaching at the fencing club), with less money and less security. Related: Walt Dragonetti, this year’s Veteran WORLD champion in Men’s Epee. My friend Kim started Med School, my friend Amy started a new grad program and my sister-in-law went back to school AND started to learn Reiki. Oh, hell. All the people in my life are amazing.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Repeat from last year: If I can’t say something nice, I’m definitely not going to type it on the internet.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Coffee and books.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Just living… I’m having a good time.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I’m on a Mother %#@& Boat!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
Probably about the same.
c) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Getting my name (and portfolio) out. Drawing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Staying up till all hours and getting up far too late.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With family in PA. Finally saw Christmas Vacation, which is apparently where 99% of Matt’s Christmas jokes come from. Oh who am I kidding, make it a round 100.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Yup. Still. Always I think.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I saw this “Mystery Diagnosis” program a couple times while in Chicago that seemed pretty interesting, though likely to cause acute paranoia.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate might be a strong word. Some fresh disappointment.
24. What was the best book you read?
Escaping the Endless Adolescence (though I’ve still got a little bit to go, since I’ve pretty much just been reading it between Borders trips). I’ll get around to buying it at some point. Anyway, I think it’s brilliant.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Jonathan Coulton. Awesome.
26. What did you want and get?
Time to focus on creative things.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Spent a leisurely day with Matt. I think we went to Chilli’s and Kim made me an awesome Coraline card. I turned 28.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hmm… it would have been nice to have made more progress on the whole converting creative efforts into income front… but I think I’ll get there.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
I spent most of the year trying to fit into the jeans that I fit into at the end of 2008, and finally succeeded about a month ago, since which time I’ve been trying to fend off the holiday spirits which are determined to make them shrink again. Otherwise I’ve been wearing all the same stuff I’ve been wearing since (or before) college, until I visited Oregon and Mom bought me a whole bunch of new clothes. Thanks Mom! I can finally throw out my dress pants that were once black but are now the color of pilled.
32. What kept you sane?
Error. Question is based on incorrect parameters.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Local issues and Energy. GAY RIGHTS.
35. Who did you miss?
Sheila. Both my thesis defense and reading were a tad bittersweet.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Not sure. I’m antisocial.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I’m more capable than I think. A lousy job can make you completely miserable.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I might be able to do this if I ever remembered song lyrics.
*images all created using iPhone app “SpawnLite”