Survey from Linda of All & Sundry
Had a baby.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t seem to have written them down, so I’m guessing not. I think I was afraid to share them because I didn’t know if I could make them. Having a baby is a pretty decent excuse, so I don’t feel too terrible. This year, no excuses. I will find time.
Resolution 1. Find time to do something creative at least a few times a week.
Resolution 2. Submit a short story to magazines.
Resolution 3. Re-write chapter 1 of novel.
Resolution 4. Create dummy for picture book, and 2 finished pages. Submit picture book to publishers.
Resolution 5. Create one simple (even if entirely useless) iPad app.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one especially close, but several casual friends had babies, a couple more are due in January, and I’ve made friends with a couple women from my birthing class.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. We also had several friends suffer miscarriage.
5. What countries did you visit?
None, but hoping to get to Canada next year. Not exactly exotic, but hey, we can drive there.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A garden. Workspace. Better sleep.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 1st, Ender’s birthday.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finally finishing painting Ender’s bedroom (like TODAY)! Looking forward to having a room to ourselves for the first time in 7 months (7!). We also finally got the studio/office space pained, and should be able to get it at least partially set up in January.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’m sure I’ve had plenty of small failures, but I don’t feel as downcast about this year as I did last year. I spent half the year pregnant and exhausted, and the other half nursing a new baby (and still exhausted) so I think it was a sort of waiting year and… a just being year if that makes any sense.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does pregnancy count? Actually the pregnancy (mostly) wasn’t bad, but the actual birth was epic. A good reminder of how skilled biology is at getting us to ignore our rational fear of pain for the purpose of reproduction.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
This is a toss-up between most useful and coolest, so I’m going to go with the one that brings me the most joy: this awesome mobile. I love it almost as much as Ender does, and I think he may recognize the word “fishies” now.
12. Where did most of your money go?
13. What did you get really excited about?
Approaching due date, having a newborn, watching him grow.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Mad World. I’ve heard it before, but it keeps coming up on my Pandora station and I sort of re-discovered it.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier!
– thinner or fatter? Probably still fatter? About 10 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight.
– richer or poorer? I think about the same.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
There is more I could have done this year, but I’m not sure I would change anything about the time I spent if given the chance.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Staying up too late when I know I’m going to be up at 7am- latest.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Visiting family and watching my nieces try to teach my son to crawl.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Doctor Who. Doctor Who? DOCTOR WHO!?
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Well I’m not sure I’d call it enjoyable, but Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, has been a big help. It was nice to finally get to read A Dance with Dragons but I found it kind of frustrating, knowing that the next one could be another five years. But hey, at least he didn’t ax my favorite character like I thought he did!
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Been totally addicted to Pandora this year.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I don’t know that I’ve actually seen a movie this year. My friend Amy tried to get me to go see Harry Potter with her, but at that point I was having to pee every half hour, so paying for a movie ticket just seemed wasteful.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30! I was in Eugene (Oregon), introducing Ender to my parents. It was a surprise.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I can’t think of anything.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Maternity. And nursing tops. Online shopping.
26. What kept you sane?
Help from family. Baby sitters. NETFLIX (about all you can do while cluster feeding)
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.