Survey from Linda of All & Sundry
Got Pregnant! Bought a house!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Looking back, I don’t think I had any resolutions last year, just wants. I said: “Next year I hope to find a publisher and get some illustration work.” I didn’t accomplish either of these, and I think it’s partly because they are by nature not goals I can control. I can make goals that could lead me to those wants, but I have no power to make a publisher take on my book, or to hire me as an illustrator. I’ve had a pretty unproductive year, for many reasons, but I think some of the chief reasons are my fuzzy goals.
This year I am making some resolutions, but I haven’t quite defined them yet. They will probably be much smaller.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Bern in Florida did… That’s all I can remember, but doesn’t mean it’s the only one.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don’t think so.
5. What countries did you visit?
This seems like sort of a silly question in the midst of a recession, I haven’t been out of the country for years, and doubt I will be any time soon.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A healthy baby (outside of my stomach). A garden. Workspace.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Probably my Dad’s birthday. I found out I was pregnant a day or two earlier, but we waited until his birthday to tell anyone, because I thought it would be a good birthday surprise for him. 🙂
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Like I said, it’s not been a super productive year. Not sure I personally have achieved much at all. Biggest achievement was probably finishing a short story?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Floating… I’m realizing that while I wasn’t a super fantastic student, the structure of school did give me some external motivation that I’m now struggling to reinvent for myself.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The awesome awesome house.
12. Where did most of your money go?
13. What did you get really excited about?
House. Pregnancy. Just sort of entering into new phases of my life.
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Several YouTube songs that I probably shouldn’t put in print.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? Certainly Fatter.
– richer or poorer? I guess poorer. Definitely more debt and bills.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Art. Writing. Anything productive.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with Matt, eating far too much.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
…Walking Dead? It’s the only thing that comes to mind, but that could just be that we finished the season up last night.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I was quite surprised by Sarah Beth Durst’s YA novel, Ice. I’ve enjoyed her other books, but I found this one to be leaps ahead. I quite liked Thirteenth Child but I can’t remember if that was this year or last year. I’ve probably read some grown-up books too. Probably.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Well I have to admit I really enjoyed Avatar. I was surprised by how much I liked “It’s Kind of a Funny Story.” I don’t really watch too many movies.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29. I think we might have been visiting family… but not 100% sure.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Progress on just about anything. Even so it’s been a GOOD year.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
I actually bought a couple shirts this year… does that count? Ooh and two pairs of jeans.
26. What kept you sane?
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Nah, I’d learned everything I need to know by the end of 2009.